Saturday, July 17, 2010

Frustrated!

So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately (amazing, I know).  But there is something that is really bothering me. 

Lets think about what we do before we buy a new car.  We look at all the different makes and models.  We find a few that will fit our needs, and then we research all of them thoroughly.  We compare a million different qualities of these cars side-by-side and then factor in all the positives and negatives before we choose a car.  (I have been doing this myself lately, so I know a bit about it.)  How responsible would it be to just run out and buy the first random car we saw without researching it, test driving it, etc.  Not very.

And what about dogs?  Before we get a dog we research everything about it, how to take care of it, what to feed it, etc.  We get prepared, right?  As any responsible dog owner would!

So please tell me WHY people enter into the world of parenthood without researching ANYTHING!  Not that all people do this, but not all do, and even those that do research some things leave many important topics un-researched and end up making uneducated decisions that can be life-altering for them and their child!

From pregnancy through a child's entire life, parents should know what is going on.  They should know the truth what is going on with a woman's body during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and just as importantly - postpartum! 

This information is not solely found with the woman's doctor.  Women especially, but their partners as well, should know how to turn over stone after stone in order to find as much information as they can about how to take care of themselves and their unborn child during pregnancy. 

BEFORE the child is born, shouldn't parents know something about what is going to happen once it arrives?  Don't we research how to house-break a puppy?  I'm not just talking about the fact that the baby will eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom.  Shouldn't parents know everything they can about their child and how to care for it?  How to make INFORMED decisions about their child, its health care, babysitters, etc.?

I guess I just really can't understand how people make decisions about themselves and their tiny little baby without doing all the possible research beforehand!

Sorry, just needed to vent...

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about! I was thinking that maybe you should have to apply for a license before being able to have a child? I thought about this after watching the news one day this week and seeing how many people abuse their poor children for not going to sleep and killing them? Are people heartless or what? Thanks for letting me vent with you!!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - so glad you joined the blogging world!!

    ReplyDelete